Before & After: New Dresser
May 6, 2011 § 1 Comment
I said a while ago that I had been searching for a new dresser. I wanted a cheap one from a thrift store that I could make-over into something really unique. I had been searching for a few weeks and having no luck. My brother recently bought a house. The previous owners had left behind one piece of furniture: a dresser (that I actually liked!). It must have been meant to be! It had plenty of drawer space and I knew with a couple coats of paint and some new hardware I could make it something great. Here is what I did:
Before (Big and clunky):
Paint and Sanding:
I picked a chocolate brown color (yes, I picked the one appropriately named Chocolate Cupcake) for the base coat and a light aqua for the top coat. I sanded the dresser with an electric sander to smooth some of the nicked up spots. Then I painted it the chocolate brown color and let it dry. After that I painted over it with a coat of the aqua.
Sanding (Again) and New Hardware:
Once the top coat of paint was dry I took the sander to it again. I wanted to give it a distressed, vintage look. I nicked up the corners a little so the chocolate brown color would show through. Then I changed out the knobs to the new ones I found at Hobby Lobby for 50% off!
The final step is lining the drawers with contact paper. I couldn’t find the print I wanted anywhere so I had to order it from Amazon. Once that arrives I will line the drawers to finish!